Our history

The church began in the heart of our leader, the late Bishop S.J. Spencer, when as a young boy, he was licensed for the ministry in Allen Temple A.M.E. Church. At the insistence of the Methodist Church, he enrolled with the University of Illinois in hope of earning a doctorate in theology. Subsequently, he learned that there were higher and deeper depths in the Lord, that is when he strived to enhance his spiritual life. Bishop Spencer received the Holy Ghost and joined the holiness church where he was ordained and served in many offices. However, he had a yearning to do more for the Lord. After much prayer and supplication, Bishop Spencer realized that God wanted him to establish a place of worship, a saving station, where he served as pastor, counselor, and mentor.

Family obligations, plus financial difficulties prevented him from purchasing or renting a building for this work therefore the first floor of the family house was consecrated and set apart for a place of worship. Construction began; the living room and dining room walls were knocked out; thus Faith Temple Church of God was born on September 30, 1959 at 550 East Liberty Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Lord blessed in a mighty way; many were saved, sanctified and filled with the Holy Ghost. As the church grew, Bishop Spencer felt a leading to move to the East End of Cincinnati where he purchased a building at 2049 Eastern Avenue. A few years later, fire destroyed this building and Faith Temple was without a church home. The parishioners were devastated, but they maintained their faith in God and the following Sunday services were held in a small rented building at 2320 Eastern Avenue. Sometime later, the church moved in a more spacious building at 3331 Eastern Avenue. Again the Lord added to the church and many were saved, healed, and delivered after a period of time.

The owner of the building decided to sell the property to someone else, so the church had to move again. Time passed, but there was not a place in the East End that was suitable for church services. Then, one week before the church was to vacate the building, the Lord directed our pastor to 211 Parson Street where there was a building for sale by the New St. John Baptist Church. Negotiations began and one week later, Faith Temple established services at this new location. There was indeed “a ram in the bush”. Despite the mumbling and grumbling of some, the church’s mortgage was paid off in five years. When the pastor’s health began to fail, he relocated to a warmer climate where he continued to establish and preach the word of God. A quote from the word of our founder: “Faith Temple is not a perfect church, but Faith Temple is a mighty good church to get to heaven out of.” On October 22, 1983, Bishop Spencer went home to be with the Lord. (Mother Spencer remained active as church mother until she transitioned on September 16, 2003).

The baton of leadership was passed to Bishop Melvin Spencer and later to our present pastor, Bishop Jerome Spencer. The church left the Parsons Street location to worship in Pastor Jerome’s home for about ten months while anxiously awaiting the completion of the newer edifice. Finally, on October 30, 1988, the church marched into our present home at 825 Rockdale Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229.

 

We have come this far by faith!

We'd love to hear from you!

faith
temple
   ministries

(513) 559-1118

825 Rockdale Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45229

    @2017 by Faith Temple Ministries